Monday, November 28, 2011

Own

I do not own
you
nor do I
owe
you
any explanations

take it
leave it

I am my own

I have,
have-
showing possession
ownership-
temporary.
I will not always,
but for now
I have:

a body
a mind
feelings
...
what I like to call
myself.
...
I am not just my body-
it was given to me.
I do not control how
it looks
or is perceived.
Like a plant,
I try to take care of it
and help it grow
strong, 
happy,
healthy.

I am not only mind-
although it sometimes feels
it has me when
I am alone with it.
In practice,
I have control over it.
I try to feed it
useful
and fantastic sustenance.

I am more than my feelings-
I have no control over their outbursts
flaring up
and I have to fight them,
negotiate,
tell them that they have no
control
over me.

I own myself.
my
self

Not you
not your body
not your actions
not your decisions.
your
self

But for all
that I do not, could not
ever wish 
to own
I would like to love 
just the same
as I do my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment